commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [logging] logging vs slf4j
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 03:52:27 GMT
I would have done that but some of the deficiencies are in the API and I couldn't get Ceki
to incorporate them. Unfortunately, SLF4J and Logback are run under the BDFL model, not a
collaboration as is done at the ASF.

Ralph

On Jul 28, 2011, at 7:30 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Random input. Seems to me you should focus on making Log4J the impl
> excellent and not trying to create yet.another.facade. ie) Don't
> compete with SLF4J, compete with Logback (given its licensing).
>
> Hen
>
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, I have been working heavily on Log4J version 2 and would hope you'd help with
that before going to SLF4J [1]. I have separated the API and Impl in a manner similar to SLF4J/Logback
but am working to correct some problems I've encountered using each of those where I work.

>> Ralph
>>
>> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4j/branches/BRANCH_2_0_EXPERIMENTAL/rgoers/
>>

>> On Jul 28, 2011, at 1:01 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I'm happy for commons-logging to die. :)

:)