commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] download development snapshot
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:34:03 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Gilles Sadowski
<gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 09:31:24AM +0100, sebb wrote:
>> For components that use Nexus, it's trivial to use mvn deploy on a
>> SNAPSHOT release.
>>
>> This can be useful for developers to check that a patch solves their problem.
>>
>> However, snapshots should not be advertised to the general user
>> public, so should never be referenced from download pages, nor on the
>> user list.
>>
>> But AFAIK it would be OK to mention the snapshot on the JIRA issue.
>>
>> There are also some projects that use the CI servers to upload
>> snapshots. Not sure how that is done.
>
> It would be nice to have a "latest" snapshot together with all snapshots
> that are supposed to solve a given issue. "latest" would be overwritten by
> the last issue snapshot.
> E.g. assuming that issue (MATH-799) is resolved, the following snapshots
> would be available:
>
>  math-commons.MATH-774.jar
>  math-commons.latest.jar -> math-commons.MATH-774.jar
>
> Then, later, when issue MATH-768 is resolved:
>
>  math-commons.MATH-774.jar
>  math-commons.MATH-768.jar
>  math-commons.latest.jar -> math-commons.MATH-768.jar

This snapshot-per-resolved-issue scheme certainly isn't something I'd
care to implement by hand.  I don't really think that degree of detail
is necessary.  It would be nice to publish our CI builds to the
snapshots repo.  These are typically dated in the repo.  E.g. Jenkins
will have svn info available per-build, so the only piece potentially
missing from this mixture would be the correlation between a given
snapshot and the Jenkins build.  Not sure how the other available CI
options stack up in this regard.  Since AFAIK our CI builds currently
are done in Continuum, I would be shocked to find that publishing a
snapshot isn't part of its repertoire.

Matt