commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] Gump failure for "BaseSecantSolverTest"
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:09:29 GMT
On 26 June 2011 17:58, Gilles Sadowski <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:

>> Some tools are smart enough to detect it, but not all of them.
>>
>> >At least, maven's conclusion is correct: It knows that there no tests to run
>> >(or rather that it should not try to instantiate an abstract class) despite
>> >the fact that there are methods marked with the "@Test" annotation.
>>
>> Yes, but it find it after having failed to launch these tests. It
>> does not check it beforehand.
>
> How do you see that?
> When I run "mvn test" here, the output does not show "BaseSecantSolverTest"
> at all, and the build is successful. [Otherwise I wouldn't have committed
> that class.]

Yes, because Surefire detects that the class is abstract.

Did you try "ant test" ?

JUnit does not detect it until it tries to run it.

>> >If it's possible, it is certainly more robust to rely on a Java keyword
>> >("abstract") rather than on an external convention (a name ending with
>> >"AbstractTest"). [Or, more precisely, even if the name does not end with
>> >"AbstracTest", the information exists that can prevent generating an error.]
>>
>> It would be a good thing, I didn't check if there was a feature
>> request on the tools we use for this (ant, maven, surefire, gump,
>> continuum, eclipse ...).
>>
>> >The introduction of the "@Test" annotation is a progress, going in that
>> >direction; that is, it is not mandatory anymore that the name of a test
>> >method starts with "test". Similarly, it should not be mandatory that a
>> >base class for tests ends with "AbstractTest".
>>
>> I don't know all the annotations Junit uses. Perhaps there is
>> something for the complete class.
>
> I'll check whether instanitation could be disabled at that level; that would
> indeed be the best option.

No. the best option is to use the proper naming convention, so the
tools don't even try to run the class as a test.

So

>> >Do you mean that it's Surefire that handles the things correctly?
>> >Then, could it be used also by Gump?
>>
>> It does not handle it correctly, it still tries to launch the tests
>> and when it fails, there is an error message.
>
> Then I don't understand why it works locally, but not on the build server...
> [No error message here.]

Because you are using Maven, not Ant.

>> >If it's impossible to properly configure Gump, I'll change the name...
>>
>> I think this is the better short term solution.
>>

> Probably, if there is no Junit annotation.

Using the correct naming convention is the solution.