commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] download development snapshot
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:57:28 GMT
On 15 June 2011 15:34, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Gilles Sadowski
> <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 09:31:24AM +0100, sebb wrote:
>>> For components that use Nexus, it's trivial to use mvn deploy on a
>>> SNAPSHOT release.
>>>
>>> This can be useful for developers to check that a patch solves their problem.
>>>
>>> However, snapshots should not be advertised to the general user
>>> public, so should never be referenced from download pages, nor on the
>>> user list.
>>>
>>> But AFAIK it would be OK to mention the snapshot on the JIRA issue.
>>>
>>> There are also some projects that use the CI servers to upload
>>> snapshots. Not sure how that is done.
>>
>> It would be nice to have a "latest" snapshot together with all snapshots
>> that are supposed to solve a given issue. "latest" would be overwritten by
>> the last issue snapshot.
>> E.g. assuming that issue (MATH-799) is resolved, the following snapshots
>> would be available:
>>
>>  math-commons.MATH-774.jar
>>  math-commons.latest.jar -> math-commons.MATH-774.jar
>>
>> Then, later, when issue MATH-768 is resolved:
>>
>>  math-commons.MATH-774.jar
>>  math-commons.MATH-768.jar
>>  math-commons.latest.jar -> math-commons.MATH-768.jar
>>

> This snapshot-per-resolved-issue scheme certainly isn't something I'd
> care to implement by hand.  I don't really think that degree of detail
> is necessary.

+1, latest should be sufficient for checking if the issues are resolved.

> It would be nice to publish our CI builds to the
> snapshots repo.  These are typically dated in the repo.  E.g. Jenkins
> will have svn info available per-build, so the only piece potentially
> missing from this mixture would be the correlation between a given
> snapshot and the Jenkins build.

JMeter solves this by including the svn info as part of the version
id, which is logged/displayed on startup.
It also uses the revision as part of the snapshot build name.

This is done with Ant, but it should be easy enough to adapt the code
for Maven builds.

I don't think it will be possible to rename the snapshot artifacts, as
they are auto-generated by Maven, but updating the code should be easy
enough, and it might even be possible to add the SVN info to the
manifest which is present in all jars.

> Not sure how the other available CI
> options stack up in this regard.  Since AFAIK our CI builds currently
> are done in Continuum, I would be shocked to find that publishing a
> snapshot isn't part of its repertoire.

No idea whether Continuum supports snapshot publication - try asking
on the builds@a.o list.

However, this will all take some effort to achieve.

In the short term, the occasional manual mvn deploy + update of JIRA
with the reference should work for many use cases.