commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Validator 1.4 beta 1 based on RC1
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2011 17:46:16 GMT
On 2 June 2011 18:24, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@gmx.de> wrote:
> Nick Burch wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Following last week's discussions, I've rolled a RC for Commons Validator
>> 1.4 beta 1. The idea of this release is to get some wider testing of the
>> codebase, owing to the 4.5 year gap since 1.3.1, before we hopefully
>> release 1.4 in a few weeks time.
>>
>> (We believe the code is stable and release worthy, but we're being a
>> little cautious with a beta first simply because of the gap)
>>

>> The svn tag this was build from is:
>>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/validator/tags/VALIDATOR_1_4_0_BETA1_RC1
>>
>> The release candidate files are available from:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~nick/Commons-Validator-1.4-beta1/
>>
>> Specifically the release notes:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~nick/Commons-Validator-1.4-beta1/RELEASE-
> NOTES.txt
>> Source and Binary zips+tarballs:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~nick/Commons-Validator-1.4-beta1/dist/
>> And Maven artifacts:
>>     http://people.apache.org/~nick/Commons-Validator-1.4-beta1/maven/
>>
>> I've tested with JDK 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6
>>
>> I haven't generated a new version of the site as the release guide would
>> suggest, because this is intended to be a short lived beta release. I
>> would propose to simply update the download page to incude the beta
>> release too, and then do a full site generation (as per the release guide)
>> when we're ready for the final 1.4 release
>>

>> Voting will be open for just over 3 days (or until a blocker is found...),
>> closing 6am GMT on Saturday 4th June. Please vote:
>>
>>   [ ] +1 Release this as Validator 1.4 beta 1
>>   [ ]  0 I don't object to this release, but I haven't checked it fully
>>   [ ] -1 There's a problem with the release, and that is ....
>
> -1
>
> File names. As Oliver already pointed out, the binary files should start
> with "commons-" prefix and this should also be the directory name in the zip
> and tar.gz files.
>
> The property commons.release.version in the POM still claims 1.3.1.
>
> Apart from that I could build successfully from source with my compiler zoo
> including using the java-1.4 profile on Linux/x64.

The Javadocs are added as HTML to the bin archives, but it might be
worth adding a javadoc.jar to the Maven output.

The bin archives contain two .js files in the top-level directory;
these don't have AL headers - are the files supposed to be there?

-1:
The src archives contain several jar files under the lib directory -
they should not be there.
Likewise the entire release/ directory tree.
The src archives should match what is in the SVN tag, although the
DOAP file is normally omitted, as is PROPOSAL.html