commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] codebase looking for a place to be contributed to commons
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 07:30:17 GMT
I've used scannotation before, which is reasonably well known I
believe, but could probably be improved on. I think with multiple
versions at Apache, it is a perfect concept for commons. I would check
out [discovery] first to see if that has a similar goal.

I'd set it up separately to [lang] first, to see how big it is. It
feels a little frameworky, but may be suitable for inclusion.

I also think that we should look to include ideas from the old [id]
project into [lang], as [id] is never going to be released.

On 10 June 2011 06:19, Ralph Goers <> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>> Hi all guys,
>> before start working on Digester3 I experimented on GitHub, taking
>> inspiration from Google Guice APIs, embedded EDSLs in configuration
>> classess to solve 2 different kind of problems:
>> * ClassPath scanning[1]: declare with fluent APIs a class path
>> scanner, filering classes users are interested in via fluent logic
>> language, and declaring actions have to be performed, once interested
>> classes have found. We already discussed about that idea time ago, but
>> it has been improved;
>> * Class scanning[2]: Java users often create framework/libraries
>> based on Java5 MetaData Annotations interpreted at runtime, the
>> pattern they usually have to apply is: given a class, visiting all the
>> class inheritance hierarchy, and getting fields/constructors/methods
>> for each class; once found an (AnnotatedElement, Annotation) pair,
>> they have to perform an action.
>> So, the implemented classes aim to reduce the boilerplate and
>> redundant code simply by declaring actions that have to be performed
>> once the pairs  (AnnotatedElement, Annotation) are found.
> I accomplished this in the work I've been doing on Log4J 2.0 by borrowing on some code
I found somewhere else at Apache. You can see it at
It is used by
> Of course, I have no idea if these bear any relationship to what you have done.
> Ralph

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message