commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simone Tripodi <simonetrip...@apache.org>
Subject [ognl] internal cache performance improvement
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 06:36:30 GMT
Hi all OGNL folks,
my today's topic is about internal cache, that can be IMHO improved in
therms of performance; its implementation is a multi-value map alike,
based on a fixed-size array, a function is applied to each key to
calculate the array index, each array element is a Collection of
element.
Even if getting the list of element related to a general key 'k' has
complexity of O(1), which is fine, insert/search operations are not
the best because their complexity is O(m) where m is the size of list
related to the key.
Follow below my proposal: there's no need to reinvent the wheel, so
the array implementation can be replaced with the already provided
HashMap, where each map value is a simple implementation of balanced
binary heap (AFAIK commons-collections already provides an
implementation), that allows us reducing insert/search complexity to
O(log m).
WDYT? Is is a worth or trivial added value? I know that maybe cache
dimension is relatively small, but linear search sounds too basic,
isn't it?
Looking forward to your feedbacks, have a nice day,
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/