commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] BCEL and JCS as Commons components?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 16:25:12 GMT
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@vafer.org> wrote:
>> Not sure what
>> factors contributed to the stagnation of BCEL development, but I like
>> to think of Commons as "the" swiss army knife for Java developers--any
>> library with a sharply defined surface area and, even better,
>> satisfying some need commonly encountered by Java developers, belongs
>> here IMO.
>
> So according to you byte code manipulation is a "commonly encountered
> need" for java developers?
> I guess then Commons should/could be the home of virtually any java
> library out there.

Point taken; however, from the "when all you have is a hammer"
perspective, if byte code generation/manipulation were made easy
enough, folk might use it more!  ;)

> ...plus your favorite kitchen sink :)

:P  I did say "even better" i.e. that being a common requirement is a
plus rather than a requirement.  I see nothing in our charter that
places this type of bar.  My vision of Commons is as a set of "atoms,"
if you will, in terms of which all broader-in-scope libraries may be
defined.  Like the philosophy of Unix system tools.

Matt