commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] codebase looking for a place to be contributed to commons
Date Sat, 11 Jun 2011 06:49:20 GMT
On 6/10/11 12:30 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I've used scannotation before, which is reasonably well known I
> believe, but could probably be improved on. I think with multiple
> versions at Apache, it is a perfect concept for commons. I would check
> out [discovery] first to see if that has a similar goal.
> I'd set it up separately to [lang] first, to see how big it is. It
> feels a little frameworky, but may be suitable for inclusion.
+1 - start separately in the sandbox and see where it goes.
> I also think that we should look to include ideas from the old [id]
> project into [lang], as [id] is never going to be released.

+1 here as well.  I think it is a shame that [id] has never made it
to a release.  The GUID stuff that prevented it from becoming
releasable is now obsolete.  I would be +1 to either promoting it
with aim to release minus the GUID stuff or pulling the useful stuff
(some of it "back") into [lang].  I have had my eyes on some of the
Tomcat code that generates session ids to adapt / incorporate into
[id].  In any case, my +1 here means I will help with the code
and/or promotion.

> Stephen
> On 10 June 2011 06:19, Ralph Goers <> wrote:
>> On Jun 9, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>>> Hi all guys,
>>> before start working on Digester3 I experimented on GitHub, taking
>>> inspiration from Google Guice APIs, embedded EDSLs in configuration
>>> classess to solve 2 different kind of problems:
>>> * ClassPath scanning[1]: declare with fluent APIs a class path
>>> scanner, filering classes users are interested in via fluent logic
>>> language, and declaring actions have to be performed, once interested
>>> classes have found. We already discussed about that idea time ago, but
>>> it has been improved;
>>> * Class scanning[2]: Java users often create framework/libraries
>>> based on Java5 MetaData Annotations interpreted at runtime, the
>>> pattern they usually have to apply is: given a class, visiting all the
>>> class inheritance hierarchy, and getting fields/constructors/methods
>>> for each class; once found an (AnnotatedElement, Annotation) pair,
>>> they have to perform an action.
>>> So, the implemented classes aim to reduce the boilerplate and
>>> redundant code simply by declaring actions that have to be performed
>>> once the pairs  (AnnotatedElement, Annotation) are found.
>> I accomplished this in the work I've been doing on Log4J 2.0 by borrowing on some
code I found somewhere else at Apache. You can see it at
It is used by