commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [LANG] Release Commons Lang 3.0 (based on RC3)
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 03:36:43 GMT
On 4 May 2011 03:42, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that I've can see my monitor clearly (no more fever!), I understand why
> this did not work.
>
> Running a standard test build for [lang] as documented on the Wiki using:
>
> mvn clean deploy -Prelease -Ptest-deploy
>
> does not produce a test jar. It does so for [codec] because this is in the
> POM:
>
>      <plugin>
>        <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>        <artifactId>maven-jar-plugin</artifactId>
>        <executions>
>          <execution>
>            <goals>
>              <goal>test-jar</goal>
>            </goals>
>          </execution>
>        </executions>
>      </plugin>
>
> But in common-parent, the crucial executions element is only in the
> "apache-release" profile.
>
> This was what we agreed upon a couple of weeks ago but it I did not
> understand the Maven magic enough to see what that meant.
>
> My goal is to generate the test jar for all commons releases, which will not
> happen since no one uses this "apache-release" profile.
>
> My questions then are:
>
> (1) Are there objections to include the Maven magic in the right place to
> generate a test jar?
> (2) What is the point of the apache-release profile?

http://maven.apache.org/asf-pom/#The_apache-release_Profile

This was introduced in version 6 (according to the POM comments);
commons parent 13 was the first to include Apache POM 6+ (in fact 7).

Commons Parent has included a "release" profile since version 1.

AIUI this is has much the same purpose as the "apache-release" profile
so at some point we could switch to using that.

Try using that goal and see.