commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <>
Subject Re: [OGNL] drop old opensymphony build
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 09:32:03 GMT
On 18 May 2011 08:31, Antonio Petrelli <> wrote:
> 2011/5/17 Henri Yandell <>
>> Looks useful to me.
>> Download the ant task. Use this standard file. Execute.
>> Save us maintaining a pointless build.xml.
> I don't think we need it at all. Don't you think that developers are able to
> download Maven like they did for Ant?

Maven requires a lot more downloading than just the product.
The first time you use Maven for a build, it will download a lot of
other stuff, much of which is not (yet) needed.

> I think that presuming that developers want always to use Ant for their
> builds is an insult to their intelligence :-D

What has intelligence to do with it? This is about providing choice.

> Don't misunderstand me, Ant was a great tool, but now we have to move on,
> like when most of us moved away from Java 1.4.

Ant still is a great tool. But it has different goals from Maven.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message