commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <>
Subject Re: [math] Exceptions for matrix operations
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 04:58:13 GMT
GC is not a problem if you are repeatedly allocating large objects.  The
time to fill in the large objects massively dominates the GC time because GC
effort is proportional mostly to the *number* of objects, not the total

That said, if you have large objects that vary in size you could be subject
to heap fragmentation.  That is a bit of an unusual problem.

The rule of thumb is that people worry about GC cost far too much almost