commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POOL2][PROPOSAL] releasing commons-pool2-2.0-beta1
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 17:12:16 GMT
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/5/11 9:20 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > I would like to propose an aggressive release schedule:
> >
> > - Push 2.0 out as a generified version of 1.5 ASAP and add/remove/fiddle
> > nothing else. "Just give me the generics P L E A S E!" :) Change
> deprecated
> > documentation from "Will be removed in 2.0" to "Will be removed in 3.0".
> Why such a rush to just get generics?

It's been forever and I'm tired of looking type casts and other hacks. Why
NOT is the better question. It's there, it's done, let's take a look at it.
Thank you Simone BTW.

> Honestly, this makes no sense
> to me.  If you really want a type-safe pool, it is easy enough to
> wrap the methods that borrow and return objects.

It makes a lot of sense to me to bullet proof pool call sites using
generics.

It makes even more sense to me to do it with a small step instead of a big
one using a next gen pool release that may break apps in subtle ways.

I have some subclassing/wrapping/hacking/blech already. It seems like you're
suggesting that folks go off and create throw away work . That does not sit
well with me when I know that enabling generics on top on 1.5 is done and it
ready for review. It's easy and makes your life easier.

> If we make this
> decision, we are effectively deciding that the current pool API is
> going to be *the* API for several years to come.

But so what? It'll be supported as long as folks like us volunteer to do it
for any given release. I say: Here is 2.0 (or 1.6 if we want to call it
that): It's 1.5 with generics, enjoy! :) Next up, for 2.0/3.0, we're doing
this and that, which are bigger changes with more serious implications. Keep
the ball moving I say. Why wait for Big Bang releases?

> We may also be
> painting ourselves into a performance corner supporting all of the
> features in the current API.

We won't know that until we really get
> the DBCP integration and performance testing done.

OK, we may... or we may not. I have no idea. I'm a DBCP user too but I don't
want to wait for some complex release train (a la Eclipse).

Gary