commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From sebb <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1103145 - /commons/proper/net/trunk/pom.xml
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 00:22:35 GMT
On 16 May 2011 00:23, Niall Pemberton <> wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Phil Steitz <> wrote:
>> On 5/15/11 2:40 PM, sebb wrote:
>>> On 14 May 2011 17:44, Phil Steitz <> wrote:
>>>> On 5/14/11 9:09 AM, wrote:
>>>>> Author: sebb
>>>>> Date: Sat May 14 16:09:22 2011
>>>>> New Revision: 1103145
>>>>> URL:
>>>>> Log:
>>>>> Archives for 3.0 were created with -bin suffix (so add -bin not bin!)
>>>> huh?  Can you explain what is going on here?
>>> See my other posting:
>>> This is needed to correct the download page so it agrees with the archives.
>> I saw the other post, which said we should use "bin", which you
>> initially did.  What I don't get is why you changed it to "-bin" below?
>> This, btw, is yet another thing pushing me ever closer to start
>> throwing grenades of the s/maven/ant variety ;)
> I think its just Sebb's mistake. You don't have to set the suffix if
> you're using the maven defaults. The correct thing would be to remove
> those from the commons-net pom.

I thought it was my mistake originally too, but as far as I can tell
there's no way to remove the -bin suffix - please see the thread:

I added the -bin to the pom in order to ensure that the generated
download.xml agrees with the artifacts as generated from the 3.0 RC1
tag and already voted on.

Yes, I could have renamed the archives, and waited for the mirrors
again, but they had already been published, so I thought it was better
to just fix the download page to agree with the archive names.

I was unable to generate the binary archives without the -bin suffix
except by reverting to assembly 2.2-beta5 and using an empty <id></id>
in the assembly desc.
However according to the Maven docs (referenced in my e-mail) this has
always been an error  - but only reported and detected in assembly
So I don't think we should continue to rely on that work-round.

As it stands, Net trunk now corresponds with the generated download
page, and should continue to do so for future releases.

I don't care if the binary archive has a -bin suffix or not (though I
think the majority of components currently do), so long as:
- the download page has the correct link
- the binary archive can be distinguished from the source archive
(i.e. the source archive must have a suffix if the binary archive does

I was not able to achieve those goals except by changing the pom as I did.

If anyone can work out how to drop the -bin from the binary archives,
please advise.

Again, please see:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message