commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niall Pemberton <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1128371 - in /commons/proper/validator/trunk: pom.xml redirect.pom
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 22:39:37 GMT
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:04 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 May 2011 16:46,  <nick@apache.org> wrote:
>> Author: nick
>> Date: Fri May 27 15:46:11 2011
>> New Revision: 1128371

>> Log:
>> VALIDATOR-253 - Change the groupId for 1.4 to be org.apache.commons to match the
new commons pattern, and add a redirect pom that can be used to help migration

>> Added:
>>    commons/proper/validator/trunk/redirect.pom
>> Modified:
>>    commons/proper/validator/trunk/pom.xml
>
> Unfortunately this won't work.
>
> Redirect POMs only work if there is a dependency on that particular
> version, and Maven Central does not allow previous versions to be
> updated to add redirect POMs. Even if it did, it would take some while
> for local workspaces to retrieve the new details.
>
> If an application depends on Validation 1.3 and Validation 1.4 (via
> different transitive dependencies) then it will get copies of both
> versions.
>
> The only safe solution is to change the package name as well.
>
> Or don''t fix the groupId until you have to change the package name
> for some other reason, e.g. API breakage.

Validator has broken binary compatibility in previous releases and we
never had a single complaint. IMO this component falls into a
different category than something like lang or io since it not a low
level library thats widely depended on. Usually its used either thru'
a framework such as Struts or JSF or as a direct dependency.

So IMO if we want to change the groupid or make small incompatible
changes it would be OK.

Niall