commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dbcp][pool] Robust pooling
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 17:45:58 GMT
On 6 May 2011 18:16, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
> On 06/05/2011 17:55, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> There are lots of things to consider in making DBCP manageable in
>> the sense described above.  I am starting this discussion now
>> because I want to make sure that we build whatever we need to build
>> into pool 2 to make these features possible in DBCP 2.  Minimally,
>> we are going to need a GOP that holds references to checked out
>> instances and the "maintenance thread" concept now embodied in the
>> evictor needs to be extended to active instances.
>
> Good points. I need to reflect on what this might mean for the pool2 design.

Might be worth adding some kind of "owner" flag to pool entries.
When entries are checked out, the owner is set; when entries are
returned, the owner is checked against the current owner and set back
to the pool.
This can be used to check for double de-allocation and (perhaps) use
of entries by the "wrong" owner.

Just a thought.