commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about DBCP code usage
Date Tue, 24 May 2011 14:18:28 GMT
On 24/05/2011 15:09, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a question regarding code usage of DBCP.
>
> For another pool implementation that is an Apache project,
Out of interest, which one?

> I would like to
> submit a patch related to LocalXA implementation.
> This patch will use (by changing their package location) the following
> classes from DBCP:
>
>    - TransactionRegistry
>    - LocalXAResource
>    - TransactionContext
>    - TransactionContextListener
>
> And have a class partly inspired by ManagedConnection.
>

> My question is:
>
>    - Can I do this if I keep the author name and Apache mention ? if no what
>    must I do ?

If you are re-using code from one Apache project in another then that is
fine. You can just copy the classes and modify as you require. It is
always a good idea to reference where the classes come from somewhere
but it is not required.

Tomcat for example includes code copied from DBCP, Digester and
FileUpload to name but a few.

Mark