commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] [GUMP@vmgump]: Project commons-math (in module apache-commons) failed
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 19:26:39 GMT
On 5/17/11 1:22 AM, luc.maisonobe@free.fr wrote:
> ----- "Phil Steitz" <phil.steitz@gmail.com> a écrit :

>>> Reading that, I've been assuming that...

>> stochastic

>> the
>> than

This (my statement above) is not quite correct, or at least whether
it is correct or not depends on the problem.  While the failure
probabilities may be the same for three retries vs. one with lower
sensitivity, the results mean different things and the first is
generally more likely to indicate a change-related problem.  Sorry
for this mistake.

>> for
>>> ... they had settled on the best approach for the class at hand.
>> Whatever rationale was discussed should be summarized here, on the
>> public list.
> We did not looked at the code itself when we met, but rather spoke about stochastic
> tests at large. Nikolaus said using an optimization algorithm as a black box is
> clearly not a good thing, Dietmar said stochastics tests are useful and may fail
> sometimes, and I said unit tests in a continuous integration process are needed
> and should not fail randomly. All these statements are true I think, they only differ
> as they look at the problem from a different point of view. It was basically the
> same thing we already said on the list some months ago about the statistics
> tests, when we finally choose to set up a retry procedure (was it for Chi square or
> for Pascal distribution ?).

These have pretty much all been removed. I think the RandomDataImpl
tests are the only ones that still use retries.  I was planning to
remove those as well.
> There is unfortunately no perfect answer. We talked about both the fixed seed approach
> and the retry procedure, and Dietmar did not like the fixed seed, so we chose the other
> one.
>
> >From old memories, I think Ted proposed something different about generating random
> numbers that was used in Mahout. Ted, could you explain us again what you proposed ?

I won't speak for Ted, but IIRC, he was the first to advocate fixed
seeds.  After thinking more about the problem, I think the best
approach is random seeds during development changed to fixed prior
to release.

In the random data generation tests, we can state and control
precisely the probability that a test will fail randomly.  When
working on the code, its best to set this fairly low and use random
seeds.  Generally, when you screw something up, failures will happen
consistently.  Even with a fixed seed and p(false positive) = .0001,
the tests fail pretty reliably when something is broken.  So the
approach above works well for these.  I guess the random seed +
retry approach will also in general work here; but this is going to
depend on the problem and it makes the sensitivities harder to set
and understand in general.  And while it drives down the probability
of spurious failure, it does not eliminate it.

Do we have any way to bound or estimate the expected probability
failure of the optimization tests?  Can we relate these estimates to
expected errors in returned values?   What bothers me about just
setting a retry number is that a) there may be an underlying problem
that is being masked and b) if there is any way that we can estimate
the likelihood of bad results, we should document that.

Phil