commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Revised dormancy policy
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 09:27:49 GMT
What is the goal of this policy? Is it meant to lure users away from the
component because it's obsolete or seriously broken? Is it an attempt to
get new developers interested in maintaining the component? Or a mere
indication that no support will be provided for this component?

- If the component is obsolete, I think the web page should explain why
and maybe redirect to better alternatives.

- If the component is abandoned but still useful, an "help wanted"
message could be inserted on the site.

By reading your proposal it seems like a stable and widely used
component could fall into the dormant category if no one volunteers to
maintain it at a given time. Also the barrier to revive a component
should be as low as possible IMHO, a single motivated committer should
be allowed to do it.

Emmanuel Bourg