commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] extend FieldElement<T>
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 17:52:19 GMT
Le 09/05/2011 09:15, Arne Plöse a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> here are some proposals for enhancing FieldElement<T>:
>
> add some shorthand "operators" for double i.e. add(double rhs) ... and
> so on.
>
> add:
> T negate();
> T sqrt();
> T pow(T x);
> T pow(double x);

This is possible only for negate() in the FieldElement<T>. Not all
fields support sqrt or pow. A typical example is Fraction, the square
root of a fraction may not be a fraction for example.

This is exactly this limitation that explains while only LU
decomposition is implemented for fields and not other decomposition
algorithms.

One possibility would be to add an ExtendedFieldElement<T> interface
that would add these methods for the fields that support it (Complex,
Dfp ...). Then, we could add new decomposition algorithms that would
work on these extended fields (but still not on simpler fields like
fraction.

> the FieldVector interface should be enhanced with this methods as well.
>
> Yes, I know this has an impact on many classes ....

This is not really a problem, especially as we are defining a new major
release, it is exactly the right time to propose such extensions.

Luc