commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POOL2] Java 1.5 or 1.6?
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 12:10:40 GMT
On 06/05/2011 12:57, sebb wrote:
> On 6 May 2011 12:26, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 for Java 1.6
>>
>> Java 1.6 is now 5 years old, Java 1.5 is officially obsolete, or even
>> deprecated by Sun/Oracle and we should try to keep things simple.
>>

> Not all OSes are supported by Sun/Oracle, and not all JVM vendors
> update their products as quickly.
>
> There may still be OSes that don't support Java 1.6 yet.
>
> I know that OpenVMS tends to lag behind, but they do have Java 1.6 for
> I64 hardware.
> However they don't have 1.6 for Alpha hardware which AFAIK is still
> very much in use.

There is still pool1 and dbcp1 for those users.

> I don't know about IBM OSes - does anyone know about their Java support?

It tends to follow the security updates so should not be an issue. Same
with HP for HPUX.

> Even when new versions of Java are available, many companies take a
> long time to update their systems.

So they aren't going to be using pool2 and dbcp2 either for the same reason.

> Also, won't requiring 1.6 for Pool force DBCP to use 1.6 also?

Yes.

> I'm not saying that we should not use 1.6, but I think we should
> strive to make pool compatible with 1.5 if at all possible.

The only practical way to do that with java.u.c is going to be by
limiting pool to a FIFO queue. I think that is too high a price to pay.
My own view is that LIFO makes more sense for pool so we can more easily
destroy idle objects (although even finding them with the available
java.u.c implementations would be entertaining).

I have done a little more more research and idle object eviction /
validation is going to be complex enough with Java 1.6 since there is no
way to insert back at a particular point in the queue.

At the moment, I am leaning heavily towards requiring 1.6 but the final
decision on that can wait until I have the evictor stuff working.

Mark