commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject [POOL2] Java 1.5 or 1.6?
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 10:43:41 GMT
Before I go too far down the road of the re-writing the core object
allocation code for pool2, I'd like to get some clarity on what the
minimum Java version targeted by pool2 should be.

It is currently 1.5.

It would make the implementation of the FIFO/LIFO allocation option
considerably easier if that was changed to 1.6.

The options as I see them are:

a) Java 1.5 with FIFO or LIFO allocation
b) Java 1.5 with FIFO allocation only
c) Java 1.6 with FIFO or LIFO allocation

b) & c) are likely to be considerably easier to write since I can use
the classes provided by java.u.c
a) looks like it will be a PITA to write

My preferred option is c)

I think b) is a bad idea since it makes idle object expiration harder

I think a) is a bad idea as I don't want to have to figure out how to
make that work, not do I want to have to maintain it once it is written
as I suspect it will end up being quite complex (although I could be wrong).

Mark