commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POOL2][PROPOSAL] releasing commons-pool2-2.0-beta1
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 17:21:39 GMT
On 5/5/11 9:42 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 17:33, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> On 5/5/11 9:20 AM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>> I would like to propose an aggressive release schedule:
>>>
>>> - Push 2.0 out as a generified version of 1.5 ASAP and add/remove/fiddle
>>> nothing else. "Just give me the generics P L E A S E!" :) Change deprecated
>>> documentation from "Will be removed in 2.0" to "Will be removed in 3.0".
>> Why such a rush to just get generics?  Honestly, this makes no sense
>> to me.  If you really want a type-safe pool, it is easy enough to
>> wrap the methods that borrow and return objects.  If we make this
>> decision, we are effectively deciding that the current pool API is
>> going to be *the* API for several years to come.  We may also be
>> painting ourselves into a performance corner supporting all of the
>> features in the current API.  We won't know that until we really get
>> the DBCP integration and performance testing done.
> +1. The good news is that I now have some time to work on this.
Great!
> The first task will be updating dbcp/trunk to build against pool/trunk.
+1 - but lets try to minimize the changes for now to those necessary
to get the build to work (i.e., hold off on internally
"genericising" DBCP).  This will make it easier to port bug fixes.
> I suspect we are going to need at least a snapshot build of pool/trunk
> to keep the Maven deps happy.
I wonder if it would be just as easy to just move to using Ant for
this phase of dbcp development and either build a pool jar or just
pull in the required pool sources?  I would personally be fine with
that approach.

Phil