commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] alpha package
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 15:32:57 GMT
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think a separate jar would be lot less valuable - that basically
> makes it a separate project/branch etc. Even if we mess around in
> Maven to produce multiple jars, we're still create two separate
> artifacts simply to deal with any tooling for binary compat checking
> that don't have a filter.
>
> Am I missing some element of binary compatibility that would cause
> havoc; or is this a case where the havoc it will cause is entirely
> intended? i.e. "Here be dragons" will allow dragons.

I'm not completely sure to understand what you are precisely
proposing, but one thing is sure: If you start distributing it as part
of a public release, then it will be used, whatever you name the
package. And if that's the case, then I'd clearly bring up the
question of binary compatibility.

Jochen

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)