commons-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: [ALL] @version tag :)
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:39:46 GMT
2011/4/6 Emmanuel Bourg <>:
> Le 05/04/2011 22:43, sebb a écrit :
>> Please don't use $Date$, because it makes checking releases much harder.
> Could you elaborate on this sebb ? I saw your other message regarding the
> timezone but I don't really understand the issue it creates when you are
> checking a release.

Regarding my experience in the Apache Tomcat project,
there are several issues with $Date$. Timezone is one of them.

In Apache Tomcat the discussion ended with me replacing all $Date$
with $Id$, because I felt that there was no consensus in removing this

My experience in the 1.5+ years since that change is the following:

1) I do not remember seeing anyone using $$ keywords in the new java
files. While we sometimes forget to set svn:eol-style property for the
new files, the svn:keywords is not in the default autoprops
configuration and thus will have to be set explicitly.

2) There were several occasions when a line with $Id$ tag was broken
by autoformatting.

If the file name is long, the "@version $Id $" line can be more that
80 characters and formatting the source code wrapped the second $ to
the next line, breaking the keyword.

3) During this time there was no occasion when this $Id$ information
in the source files were useful for me.   Essentially it says how old
is this file,  but files do change often and a change set usually
spawns several files.

I think $Id$ tags are useful in textual documents like README, because
it is good to review those from time to time and update stale

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: