commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Why development version (in trunk) is set as released version (3.0)
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:51:21 GMT
On 12 April 2011 19:19, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Hoat Le <hoatlevan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>  <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>>  <artifactId>commons-lang3</artifactId>
>>  <version>3.0</version>
>>  <name>Commons Lang</name>
>>
>> As maven convention, we should use 3.0-SNAPSHOT for development-version
>> (trunk here).  I don't think we should use 3.0 here which is considered as a
>> released version? Or any reason for doing that?
>>

> Ordinarily the version is set as 3.0-SNAPSHOT as you suggest.  It's
> been set to 3.0 in trunk lately because we're in the throes of the RC
> cycle.

I'm inclined to agree with the OP - trunk should never be anything
other than -SNAPSHOT, as it can seriously mess with repos and CI
builders.

AFAIK, the Maven release plugin changes the version temporarily to
remove the -SNAPSHOT but restores it soon after.

The manual release method - using a separate working copy - never
allows the trunk to be seen in non-SNAPSHOT state (IMO the release
plugin ought to behave that way too, but that's a different matter).