commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [net] binary compatibility be damned
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:17:26 GMT
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@vafer.org> wrote:

> Why are you using the jars from the app server would be my question.

* Because I wouldn't want to modify the installation?
* Because I'd like to deliver my application to customers so that they
can deploy in an unmodified environment?
* Because it works fine that way with the current policy?

Pick your choice.

> IMO that's irrelevant as the users decide whether they upgrade or not.

You don't get the point. With the commons libraries, there frequently
isn't *the* user. In the scenario I outlined above, there are at least
3 different "users" (from a commons perspective):

- The quality managers and or programmers that decide what's
destributed as part of the application server.
- The application programmers (like me), that build generic
applications which are running within this application server.
- The customers programmers which are customizing or using the
applications I have built.

Decisions aren't done unilaterally.

Jochen

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)