commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lang] Pair toString
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:14:43 GMT
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@joda.org>wrote:

> I fixed the Map.Entry equals/hashCode compliance.
>
> I shortened the toString form to omit the class name, as it is
> superfluous -> (A,B)
>
> Out library uses square brackets, but I can live with round.
>
> I don't believe that requiring every pair to carry around a format
> string is viable. These must be small objects. I could live with a
> toString(format) variation if that would help.
>
> I also believe that getLeftElement()/getRightElement() are too long.
> They should be getLeft()/getRight().

+1, "Element" does not add value (worse would be "Object").

I do not like the class name either as I've wrote in another thread: a pair
of objects IMO are similar, and I often associate objects together that are
not a "pair" in the traditional sense ("a pair of shoes") but that are an
association like a key and a value. This is why I use the Smalltalk old
school class name of Association in our version at work.

Gary