commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject [Lang] ClassUtils getShortClassName != Class getSimpleName
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:18:36 GMT
Hi All:

Should we deprecate ClassUtils getShortClassName in favor of Class
getSimpleName?

The behavior of getShortClassName is undocumented for arrays in the Javadoc
and is different from getSimpleName.

When I replace the guts of getShortClassName to call getSimpleName, one test
fails:

junit.framework.ComparisonFailure: null
expected:<[ToStringStyleTest.]Person[name=John Q. ...> but
was:<[]Person[name=John Q. ...>
    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:81)
    at junit.framework.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:87)
    at
org.apache.commons.lang3.builder.ShortPrefixToStringStyleTest.testPerson(ShortPrefixToStringStyleTest.java:86)

For now, I've made a note in the Javdoc to consider using getSimpleName.

--
Thank you,
Gary

http://garygregory.wordpress.com/