commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Lang] Pair toString
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:03:52 GMT
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is Pair now good (for a value of consensually agreed good)?
>
> Good enough, although Stephen noted in ImmutablePair's javadoc that
> being non-final, a subclass could add
> undesirable/counter-to-expectation behavior.  I can't see any reason
> why we shouldn't make this class final, particularly as the option
> always exists to lift that restriction should someone later provide a
> justification for doing so.  Does anyone object to this?

Please do not make the class final.

The first thing I want to do is dump my custom pair class and plug this one
in. But, in order to do so, I need to override toString().

Which gives me another custom class... so why do I want to do this? Hm...
good question. Until I play with it some more, I am not sure which way to go
for my use case. Just don't lock me out ;)

Gary