commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Commons Attic
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:23:53 GMT
I'm all for moving to the Attic instead of a Commons Attic. Phil's
email makes me think that we have very little that would be up for the
Attic; but we do have some candidates and I'd like to see us clearly
defining the dead from the dormant. Also to drive us to think about
telling the dead from the dormant (or stable).

Moving to the Attic is a bigger step; that will be valuable to make us
think carefully and work to justify why something is still alive. We
often feel like the developer who always comments out code instead of
developing it.

Hen

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Ralph Goers
<ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem distinguishing "dormant" from "attic".  Just because one had releases
and the other didn't they should go to different places for their final resting place?

> I'm not really clear on what happens to incubator projects that fail. I know there is
no "incubator dormant" or "incubator attic" and I don't believe any incubator projects have
ever moved to the attic.

> I'm not clear why commons should have an attic (or dormant) subproject.  The attic is
perfectly capable of housing Commons Jelly. It already contains several Jakarta subprojects.