commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [net] binary compatibility be damned
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:33:54 GMT
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@vafer.org> wrote:

> * source compatibility for x.*.*

Disagreed. I can quote numerous examples of application servers that
come with varying versions of commons-foo, even within my employers
house. Your proposal would mean that I had to create varying jar files
of the applications shared library, depending on the application
server.

I am quite happy with our current policy, that we either maintain
binary compatibility or change the package name. OTOH, I do support
every attempt to drop old stuff by doing the latter.

Jochen

--
I Am What I Am And That's All What I Yam (Popeye)