commons-dev mailing list archives

From Julius Davies <>
Subject Re: [Nexus] Commons-codec release not showing up in Maven Central after 24 hours
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 02:17:14 GMT
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:15 PM, sebb <> wrote:
> On 1 April 2011 02:49, Phil Steitz <> wrote:
>> On 3/31/11 1:58 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>> Because the Maven groupId in the POM. They dictate where files go. Changing
>>> an ID is a big deal.
>> To provide a little more context, Commons began drinking the maven
>> cool-aid very early, back in the pre-release maven 1 days.  At that
>> time, artifact naming had not evolved to the point that is has
>> now.   The current recommended maven approach is to use
>> org.apache.project... as the groupId.  When we starting pushing
>> Commons components to m1 repos, that had not been established, so
>> many of our older components were published with groupIds of the
>> form "commons-foo".  Changing is a disruptive PITA for us and users,
>> so we have decided to do it coincident with major version changes.
>> Over time, all will move to org.apache.commons.
> With the possible exception of commons-logging ...

Thanks, all, for the explanation and background!  I'm an ant man
myself (a mant?), but I recently worked on an academic paper on jars
in Maven2 (google for 'bertillonage'), and I was curious how these
different directories come to be!  Thank you!!!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message