commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <>
Subject Re: [ALL] @version tag :)
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:51:29 GMT
On 4/5/11 3:25 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:
>> In case it's not obvious, I am
>> -1 to banning @version, as it can be useful
> Could you elaborate on such a scenario?
>> +1 to banning $Date$ in @version
> IMO all SCM magic tokens should be banned from @version ...or for that
> matter pretty much everywhere.
As Java developers, we so rarely get to use $ in our code, so it
would be a shame to see these little gems vanish from our sources
;)  I honestly don't care.  I have looked at $Date$ before to lazily
see when a file was last modified, but that is unreliable and it is
very easy to get that info from svn, so I am fine dropping all these
little tokens from sources.  I don't think we need a Commons-wide
policy, though.  Those who are bothered by them can remove them and
no one seems likely to complain based on this thread.
Agreed - energy should go into making sure @since is there and correct.