commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Nexus] Commons-codec release not showing up in Maven Central after 24 hours
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 01:49:33 GMT
On 3/31/11 1:58 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Because the Maven groupId in the POM. They dictate where files go. Changing
> an ID is a big deal.

To provide a little more context, Commons began drinking the maven
cool-aid very early, back in the pre-release maven 1 days.  At that
time, artifact naming had not evolved to the point that is has
now.   The current recommended maven approach is to use
org.apache.project... as the groupId.  When we starting pushing
Commons components to m1 repos, that had not been established, so
many of our older components were published with groupIds of the
form "commons-foo".  Changing is a disruptive PITA for us and users,
so we have decided to do it coincident with major version changes.
Over time, all will move to org.apache.commons.

Phil