commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "MathWishList" by SebastienBrisard
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:31:50 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "MathWishList" page has been changed by SebastienBrisard.
http://wiki.apache.org/commons/MathWishList?action=diff&rev1=62&rev2=63

  ##language:en
  = Commons-Math Wish List =
-
  A list of feature requests made by Commons-Math users, contributors, and committers.  These
requests will be considered when deciding on new functionality for future releases.  At any
time, additional feature requests can be added simply by editing this page.

+  * Add support for iterative linear solvers (see discussion http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201104.mbox/%3C20110413062230.2B0E41405982C@svoboda.polytechnique.org%3E)
   * Add remedian statistic - [[http://www.agoras.ua.ac.be/abstract/Remrob90.htm|The Remedian:
a Robust Averaging method for Large Data Sets]]
-  * Add ability to compute the density of normal distribution and other well behaved distributions
(done for some distributions [[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-222]])
+  * Add ability to compute the density of normal distribution and other well behaved distributions
(done for some distributions https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-222)
   * Add ability to sample from some of the common distributions such as normal, gamma, beta
and so on.
   * Add Dirichlet, Multinomial distributions
   * Add additional alternative pseudo-random number generators (PRNGs)
-  * Investigate alternative methods for generating values from discrete distributions [[http://www.jstatsoft.org/v11/i03/]]
+  * Investigate alternative methods for generating values from discrete distributions http://www.jstatsoft.org/v11/i03/
-  * Resampling [[http://markmail.org/message/u3diwc76m66r7qme]]
+  * Resampling http://markmail.org/message/u3diwc76m66r7qme
   * Applied-mathematical/Mathematical-physics algorithms? - Henri Yandell
-    * Examples, please?  This item goes to the heart of what I consider an ongoing lack of
consensus about what Commons-Math is supposed to be for.  Should it include discipline-specific
algorithms that do not overlap core numerical mathematical areas?  Maybe, but we should discuss
it. -- AlChou
+   * Examples, please?  This item goes to the heart of what I consider an ongoing lack of
consensus about what Commons-Math is supposed to be for.  Should it include discipline-specific
algorithms that do not overlap core numerical mathematical areas?  Maybe, but we should discuss
it. -- AlChou
   * Numerical Enhancements
-      * [[http://zxg32.blogchina.com/2787280.html|Post-SOC TODO List]] - Xiaogang Zhang
+   * [[http://zxg32.blogchina.com/2787280.html|Post-SOC TODO List]] - Xiaogang Zhang
-  * Implement monte carlo simulation [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method]]
+  * Implement monte carlo simulation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method
   * [[PrimeNumbers|Prime Numbers Functionality]] -- SharonLourduraj
-       * Naive Primality Testing
+   * Naive Primality Testing
-       * Probablistic Tests
+   * Probablistic Tests
-       * Ofcourse, we will take it slowly, this area is vast and time consuming.
+   * Ofcourse, we will take it slowly, this area is vast and time consuming.
-       * Implementing algorithms for practicality, and look into optimizing the algorithms
(in terms of implementing it).
+   * Implementing algorithms for practicality, and look into optimizing the algorithms (in
terms of implementing it).
   * AbstractStorelessUnivariateStatistic.evaluate(...) and all the workhorse implementations
in subclasses should be static methods. -- NickGuenther
   * StandardDeviation has versions of .evaluate which take a precalculated mean. It would
be nice if the same sort of thing could be had for all the other measures (e.g. skewness &
kurtosis should be able to take both precalculated means and standard deviations) -- NickGuenther
   * Generalized Matrix Inversion, as I describe on http://mjollnir.com/matrix/ -- Rand Huso
-  * Estimation of Omega in GLSMultipleLinearRegression using, for example Feasible Generalized
Least Squares [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feasible_generalized_least_squares]]
+  * Estimation of Omega in GLSMultipleLinearRegression using, for example Feasible Generalized
Least Squares http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feasible_generalized_least_squares
   * Add [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution|convolution]], [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform|Laplace
transform]], [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-transform|Z-transform]] and similar signal/image
processing and filtering related essentials.
   * Add further functionality for BigDecimal and BigInteger arithmetic in particular a power
function that will input two BigDecimal type numbers and raise one to the power of the other
and return the result correct to a number of specified decimal places. This may best be added
to the util.MathUtils class along with other pow functions - suggested by Andy Turner (2011-01-20)