commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [net] binary compatibility be damned
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:35:04 GMT

I guess I had more to say, or rather ask.

In message <BANLkTikf9iGKczWraRDW_yb50wuD9x4+GQ@mail.gmail.com>, sebb writes:
>really necessary, because of the additional work that it causes all
>downstream users.

What additional work?  As far as I know, end users--as in people who don't
write code--don't download new versions of Commons Net jars and plug them
into the applications that they use.  They don't even know the applications
they use depend on Commons Net.  Developers of the applications they use
update the jars when they release a new version of their software and
deliver it to their users.  Developers are our downstream users and they
compile their code before releasing it.  So as long as we remain
compile-time compatible, there's no problem.  What am I missing?  That's
not a rhetorical question.

I must be missing some use case you have in mind, such as something
analogous to a Linux distribution updating /usr/lib/libstdc++.so or some
other shared library and breaking all dynamically linked user-compiled
binaries dependent on it.  The only Java examples of that I can think of
are the result of lack of care in deploying applications (where you
end up pulling jars into your CLASSPATH that you don't intend).

daniel