commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel F. Savarese" <...@savarese.org>
Subject Re: [net] binary compatibility be damned
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:03:02 GMT

In message <BANLkTikf9iGKczWraRDW_yb50wuD9x4+GQ@mail.gmail.com>, sebb writes:
>If binary compat. is to be broken, then it needs to be done once, and
>done properly so it does not have to be done again. That's not
>something I personally have any inclination to tackle at present, so
>I'm trying to ensure binary compat. whilst fixing as many of the bugs
>as possible.

Okay, fine.  I disagree with the level of importance you're placing on
binary compatibility as it places extreme limits on the ability of a code
base to evolve for the better over time.  Given that I've long advocated
a Commons Net rewrite, I can buy into the extrapolated argument that if
we're going to redesign Commons Net, let's do it properly from the
ground up.  Since now is obviously not the right time to do that (as it
would greatly delay a new release), I won't stir up the pot any further.
However, if we're going to continue to live with warts and make ad-hoc
workarounds in the interest of preserving binary compatibility, can we
agree to not make any changes that break run-time compatibility (i.e.,
changes like POP3.setState, which as far as I know was the only such
change) except in the case of actual bug fixes or functionality
enhancements?

daniel