commons-dev mailing list archives

From luc.maison...@free.fr
Subject [math] resetting relative and absolute tolerances in ODE adaptive step size integrators
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:51:06 GMT
Hi all,

I have hit a limitation of the current implementation of ODE integrators with adaptive step
size. For now, the tolerances that are used to adjust the step size are specified only at
construction time and cannot be changed afterwards. However, these tolerances are highly problem-dependent
and in fact the dimension of the problem (which is related to the dimension of the vectorial
version of the tolerances) is specified only at integration time, not at construction time.

So I consider adding at the top-level hierarchy (abstract class AdaptiveStepsizeIntegrator)
a few setters to allow users to change these tolerances after the integrator has been built.
It seems the integrators by themselves were not documented as immutable (I first thought they
were), so this change is probably harmless.

I am going to open a Jira issue for this.

Any thoughts ?

Luc