commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:02:34 GMT

On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:

> On 3/29/11 7:33 PM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:24 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>> So, lesson learned: Don't use Maven!  ;-)
>>> No, the other one: make copies of your code through multiple means until it is
completely safe.  I hadn't lost code (or any data through paranoid backups that have survived
about 20 hard drive failures over the years) for a long time.  It will be a very long time
before it happens again.

>> I have no idea what you did, but Maven won't delete your source code doing a mvn
clean install unless you've placed your source files under the "target" subdirectory.  This
could have just as easily been something Eclipse did to you as much as Maven. Maybe you should
stop using Eclipse then.

> It was under 'src' at the project top...  Using Eclipse, without Maven, before and after
has always worked fine.  I've never seen Eclipse delete source files automatically ever, other
than when triggering that Maven build.
> Probably it was some obscure thing about the already-existing Maven environment or something.
 I couldn't explain it and didn't have extra time or energy to debug or duplicate.  But that's
what happened.

I don't doubt that it happened. I just doubt it was caused by Maven itself. I know of no operation
that will delete the src directory or anything under it.  While you are perfectly free to
decide to not use Maven, basing the decision solely on the experience you related is not rational.
 The choice almost always comes down to Maven being "inflexible" (i.e. requiring you to do
things its way) vs having hand coded builds with little consistency from project to project.

Ralph