commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Release process WAS [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:07:08 GMT

On Mar 31, 2011, at 8:49 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 31 March 2011 12:08, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> And then you need to check the hashes and sigs again since you are
>>> now working with downloaded copies of the files that we voted on.
>>> Seems much easier and more correct to me to just scp the files to
>>> p.a.o., let people vote on them and *move* exactly those files to
>>> /dist.
>>
>> You don't get the point of Nexus and the maven-release-plugin, Phil.
>> The point is that these files (hashes and sigs) are already created,
>> ready to use and, indeed, will be simply moved to /dist, just as you
>> are suggesting.
>
> Does the release plugin move the files from the staging directory to /dist then?
>
> Or does it move the RM's copies of the files to /dist?

Although you said you don't like that the Nexus plugin allows manipulating the repo, I could
see creating a maven project that does nothing but the required operations to promote the
maven artifacts and move the non-maven artifacts to /dist.  Of course, a Java program could
also be used that invokes the Nexus APIs, etc.

Ralph