commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject [SITE] skin discussion (was: [SITE] commons-build - is it still used?)
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 19:42:08 GMT
On 4 March 2011 18:45, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:29 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 4 March 2011 06:45, Simone Tripodi <simonetripodi@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Hi Gary/all
>> > I don't know if you're interested, but I realized time ago a light
>> > skin[1] that is already released under ASL2.0, here[2] you can find a
>> > sample, if you are interested on it we could speak about moving it as
>> > new commons-skin...
>>
>> We cannot use it as it stands.
>>
>> Its site.vm template does not support the trademark attributions we
>> need to add to the footer, and AFAIK Maven only allows the template to
>> be overridden as part of a skin.
>>
>> If the default Maven template is ever fixed to allow proper footer
>> (and other) customisation, then it would be usable, but I doubt that
>> will happen soon.
>
> How about submitting a patch to Maven?

It's easy enough to patch the template - because that is what I have
been doing - but for a proper fix, really the site.xml format needs to
be extended to add a <footer> element, and I have no idea where that
is handled.

Also, for flexibility, site.xml ought to support variables in the
context of the current project; currently an inherited site.xml is
processed in the context of the project that contains it. I've fixed
that by a hack in the template, but it is not generic; that would need
external support.

I've raised various issues, but so far not even a comment on them.

> Gary
>

>> > Just let me know, have a nice day!
>> > Simo
>> >
>> > [1] http://code.google.com/p/fluido-skin/