commons-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [codec] Error in the Caverphone implemention
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:01:43 GMT
Heh - pretty sure the 2.0/1.0 bit is me :)

Given I'd written a 1.0 impl first, I think I simply didn't want to
lose the code.

If you think there's value in both, then I'm all for it. I think at
the time I was implementing something fun and didn't know if 2.0 was a
replacement for 1.0 or not. I didn't know if anyone would even use it,
so I'm very happy Martin answered that one :)

Hen

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not a SME in Caverphone land but I do see in the code comments
> that guide through commenting this line in and that line out to toggle
> between both versions. I would never toggle between versions like that
> nor would I recommend it. This lead me to propose the two classes. In
> addition, it could be useful to provide both versions for programs
> that compare various algorithms. I've seen a couple of papers that
> produce all sorts of stats for different codecs. Reading papers
> recently on cologne and cavedphone while looking for test data is
> where I found such stats for example.
>
> Gary
>
> On Mar 4, 2011, at 1:18, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a need for 1.0?
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Any though on splitting the class into two subclasses. One for cav
>>> 1.0, the other for 2.0?
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>
>>> On Mar 3, 2011, at 1:52, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Thanks Martin and Gary - sorry for my screwup.
>>>>
>>>> Very happy that you found the Caverphone code however Martin :)
>>>>
>>>> Hen
>>>>
>>>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>>>> The fix is in SVN and scheduled for inclusion in the upcoming Codec 1.5
>>>>> release.
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you,
>>>>> Gary
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Martin Nybo Andersen <tweek@tweek.dk>
wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Matt Benson wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>  Finally, given the fact that we are discussing patches (which have
to
>>>>>>> be granted IP blah blah blah anyway) as well as the fact that
you are
>>>>>>> not subscribed to the developer list, this exchange should be
>>>>>>> conducted in JIRA.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Matt
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I wrote the mail to raise a flag. You saw it, which was my intention.
I'm
>>>>>> happy now.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> To create a jira account for this minor bug seems to be overkill
for me.
>>>>>> Remember that the harder it is to report a bug, the fewer bugs will
be
>>>>>> reported.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I am not subscribed to this mailing list for the same reason.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> What you do with the bug now, is for you to decide.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Would you be able to include a unit test patch in your diff
file?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> new Caverphone().encode("mbmb") currently returns "MMP1111111" while
it
>>>>>> should return "MPM1111111".
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Also, it seems that the examples from
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caverphone
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> do not match our code:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>            {"Lee", "L11111"},
>>>>>>>>            {"Thompson", "TMPSN1"},
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>> These Caverphones seems to be version 1. Version 2 which is implemented
in
>>>>>> apache.commons uses 10-letter-codes.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>  Hm...
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Thank you,
>>>>>>>> Gary
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Martin Nybo Andersen <tweek@tweek.dk
>>>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>  Hi,
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> I've found an error in the Caverphone language codec.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> According to the specs at page 2 line 6:
>>>>>>>>> "If the name ends with mb make it m2".
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Apparently is has been interpreted as:
>>>>>>>>> "If the name _starts_ with mb make it m2".
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> The attached patch will fix it.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Please CC me, as I'm not subscribed.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>> Martin Nybo Andersen
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Thank you,
>>>>> Gary
>>>>>
>>>>> http://garygregory.wordpress.com/
>>>>> http://garygregory.com/
>>>>> http://people.apache.org/~ggregory/
>>>>> http://twitter.com/GaryGregory
>>>>>
>>>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@commons.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@commons.apache.org


Mime
View raw message