commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SITE] commons-build - is it still used?
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 20:16:49 GMT
On 4 March 2011 01:55, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 March 2011 00:49, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Commons site is working currently because people.apache.org is acting
>>> as the storage for the shared CSS files.
>>
>> Ah OK.
>>
>> I wonder why we just didn't put that in commons skin?
>>
>> I think originally we used to update the name of the ApacheCon logo in
>> the CSS. But then we changed the logo to a generic name
>> (current-event-125x125.png) and so we just have to replace the image
>> and not change the CSS.
>
> ApacheCon is now in (parent) site.xml, but is fixed, and hopefully
> won't need to change.
> It can be overridden on a component basis if required.
>
>> If thats the case then it could go in commons-skin. However if we
>> wanted to change the CSS, then if its in commons-skin it needs a skin
>> & parent pom release - wheras commons-site its just a commit and
>> re-deploy.
>>
>> Sorry for thinking out loud, I think I agree with you.
>
> No worries, it's useful to discuss this before finalising the
> commons-skin updates.
>
> At present, site.css is included in commons-skin, and site.css
> @includes http://commons.apache.org/style/commons-maven.css.
> This means that sites don't work off-line properly when testing - and
> may also affect release documentation used offline.
>
> So I now think your idea is best - let's put commons-maven.css in
> commons-skin and change site.css accordingly.
> [Or indeed one could rename commons-maven.css as site.css, but I think
> that would be confusing.]

OK, I've done that.

Generated sites now look OK for all images - except the Commons logo,
which is converted to a relative reference that is below the generated
site.

Maybe it would be best to include commons logo in the skin as well -
this would allow offline sites to work properly.

Any objections?