commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trademakrs and logos. WAS beanutils commit msg...
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2011 16:45:02 GMT

On Mar 13, 2011, at 1:24 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12/03/2011 18:03, Phil Steitz wrote:

>>> I think we would have difficulty claiming "Commons" as a trademark.
>>>
>>> I think we should be claiming/protecting:
>>> - Apache Commons
>>> - Apache Commons Foo
>>> - Commons Foo
>> Why, exactly?
>
> Because I don't want BigCorp to be able to create a product called
> "Apache Commons Math". If we don't protect our marks then we have no way
> of stopping abuse.

Do you honestly think that the probability of that is distinguishable from 0 as a double?
 Seriously, I have a hard time envisioning this, and an even harder time convincing myself
that we should be spending precious volunteer hours making changes throughout the commons
sites to mitigate this risk.  Especially when these changes may give the wrong impression
to some users / potential volunteers.  (I know the latter is a minority view, as may be the
former)