commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:06:57 GMT
Le 30/03/2011 09:07, Ralph Goers a écrit :

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 12:01 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>
>> Le 30/03/2011 03:36, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>>> Wait! I'm not done or I'm loosing my marbles...
>>>
>>> I followed the whole song and dance from:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus
>>>
>>> It's the last time I'll pick that route.
>>
>> For what its worth, for math 2.2 I used a mix of Phil scripts for the
>> beginning and Nexus for the rest, using the wiki as a guideline. In this
>> case the process was a little convoluted, because we create both a
>> trimmed down version of the site to hold only the user guide and to be
>> put in the docs archives, and we create a complete site to be uploaded.
>>
>> For the last release candidate, it worked well. Phil asked me to
>> document it and extend the scripts if needed, and I forgot to do it in
>> time, sorry :-(
>>
>> The one thing I found cumbersome was that part of the process pushed
>> non-maven artifacts on Nexus, that had to be manually moved away.
>> Furthermore, these are what we consider here the real Apache artifacts
>> (i.e. the ones that are available in the download page, not the ones
>> that are at last published in maven repository).
>>
>> I also have some slight concerns using a proprietary product, but as it
>> secures some things as Sebb says, I can live with it.
>>
>> Is it possible to find some intermediate approach, extending Phil
>> scripts, pushing only the maven part on Nexus directly without having to
>> log on Nexus web interface ? The last part (not logging to close the
>> staging area) may reduce the safety we get and risk some spurious
>> publish as Sebb explained, but with several independent scripts, this
>> could leverage the risk.
>
> Is this what you are looking for?  http://www.sonatype.com/books/nexus-book/reference/staging-sect-managing-plugin.html

Almost. As a maven plugin, I suspect it will be difficult to select
exactly what we want and what we don't want on nexus. For example I had
to manually remove the non-maven artifacts (files for the donwload area
and spurious checksum of signature files). With this plugin, I see we
can list what has been uploaded but I don't see how to delete some of
the files before closing the staging area.

Luc