commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Williams <...@lig.net>
Subject Re: Release hell WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:06:01 GMT
On 3/30/11 12:02 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2011, at 7:40 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
it is completely safe.  I hadn't lost code (or any data through paranoid backups that have
survived about 20 hard drive failures over the years) for a long time.  It will be a very
long time before it happens again.

>>> I have no idea what you did, but Maven won't delete your source code doing a
mvn clean install unless you've placed your source files under the "target" subdirectory.
 This could have just as easily been something Eclipse did to you as much as Maven. Maybe
you should stop using Eclipse then.
>> It was under 'src' at the project top...  Using Eclipse, without Maven, before and
after has always worked fine.  I've never seen Eclipse delete source files automatically ever,
other than when triggering that Maven build.
>> Probably it was some obscure thing about the already-existing Maven environment or
something.  I couldn't explain it and didn't have extra time or energy to debug or duplicate.
 But that's what happened.
> I don't doubt that it happened. I just doubt it was caused by Maven itself. I know of
no operation that will delete the src directory or anything under it.  While you are perfectly
free to decide to not use Maven, basing the decision solely on the experience you related
is not rational.  The choice almost always comes down to Maven being "inflexible" (i.e. requiring

It was rational given my evidence so far.  Just not given your evidence.  I'll chalk it up
to an unlucky combination of beginner
steps.  I'm likely to dig into it again soon.

> you to do things its way) vs having hand coded builds with little consistency from project
to project.

I don't mind the consistency, however I am not happy when things are more complicated than
they need to be.  I see the advantage of
Maven for automatically providing apt/yum/CPAN-like package management for Java.  I'm just
not sure it is the simplest way to do it
or that it is something I'd choose for my own project code.

> Ralph

sdw