commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Codec 1.5-RC1
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 03:21:21 GMT
On 3/28/11 4:49 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> I am having a heck of a time pushing the release out.
>
> I cannot seem to be able to create the sym links per the instructions in
> http://wiki.apache.org/commons/UsingNexus
>
> I cannot get the symlinks.sh script working. I copied it to my home bin
> directory. When I invoke it, it is not found. Just running it from my home
> bin w/o args does give me the usage I get:

You need to run it from the dist directory where the links are going
to be created and you need to give it the release number.  See steps
1 and 2 here:
http://commons.apache.org/releases/release.html

Step 2 assumes that the tars and zips have somehow made their way to
/www/www.apache.org/dist/commons/foo/

Step 1 provides instructions on how to move things there.  I think
Nexus tries to do this moving for you.

To get the symlinks created properly, you need to invoke symlinks.sh
with the release number as its command line argument from
/www/www.apache.org/dist/commons/foo/

For that to work, you have to have the script available and
executable.  That should happen if you put it in your bin directory
and do chmod +x on it.  Have a look at your .profile file (cat
~/.profile).  If it does not contain a line that looks something like
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:$HOME/bin;
export PATH
then you need to add that line (maybe minus the games and X11R6
stuff) or just copy a new .profile.   Let me know if you are having
problems with this and I will help.

Sebb is right though that you should close the VOTE before moving
stuff to dist/

Phil