commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: [DBCP] The plan for v2
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:09:48 GMT
On 22/03/2011 18:4, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Mark Thomas <> wrote:
>> What do folks think to the following:
>> - move pool trunk to a POOL_FUTURE branch
>> - restore pool trunk to a copy of the POOL_1_X branch
>> - rename pool package to o.a.c.pool2
>>  (in reality this would probably be a merge from POOL_FUTURE)
> Why not just use pool2 trunk then? I guess you'll have to try and see.

I started that a few hours ago and my initial impression is that there
would be a lot of work to get dbcp2 working with pool2. It just feels
like much too big a leap. I'm much happier with small incremental changes.

>> - rename dbcp packages to o.a.c.dbcp2
>> - get pool2 and dbcp2 working together
>> - get Tomcat trunk working with dbcp2
>> - go through the POOL_FUTURE changes one at a time:
>>  - merging it into pool2 trunk
>>  - updating dbcp2 trunk if necessary
>>  - testing updated dbcp2 with Tomcat
>>  - if a POOL_FUTURE change breaks DBCP/Tomcat integration in a way that
>> can't easily be fixed skip that change and leave it in POOL_FUTURE
> I'd hate to see all of the pool2 work tossed aside but I do like the
> evolutionary approach of getting pool2, dbcp2 and Tomcat changing in
> lockstep, one commit at a time. Right it sounds like you are saying that
> pool2 is different enough from pool1 to be a big pain for dbcp2 and Tomcat.

Yes, right now moving to pool2 is a huge obstacle. The intention of my
proposal was to provide a way of keeping most of the POOL_FUTURE changes
whilst allowing incremental changes in dbcp2. svn merge should mean
minimal additional work to merge back POOL_FUTURE changes to pool2
trunk. With luck, we should be able to skip over any problematic
POOL_FUTURE changes and discuss those in more detail before deciding
what to do.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message