commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DBCP] The plan for v2
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 18:20:55 GMT
On 22/03/2011 17:58, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Hi Mark and all:
>
> It's good to hear someone is thinking about moving forward!
>
> pool2 trunk seems to me to be highly volatile based on having worked some in
> pool2.
>
> I've read opinions here going back and forth as to how to solidify the API
> or even go /back/ to the pool1 style before moving forward again.
>
> I think time would be better spent solidifying pool2. Time spent matching
> dbcp2 to pool2 could be a waste because, to me, pool2 feels like a moving
> target ATM.

pool2 is a moving target because a lot of the re-factoring has been an
academic exercise. Having a clear end user for this (Tomcat -> DBCP ->
POOL) should provide the direction necessary to solidify pool2. I don't
mind working with a moving target as long as it is moving towards a
clear goal. That goal for me is:
- Java 5 / generics
- fixing inconsistencies / oddities
- improved performance on DBCP in multi-core servers.

It would certainly make starting dbcp2 a whole lot easier if most of the
pool2 re-factoring had not taken place. I think we made a mistake in not
pushing forward with DBCP and POOL in parallel. That said, I like a lot
of the pool2 changes and don't want to throw them away.

What do folks think to the following:
- move pool trunk to a POOL_FUTURE branch
- restore pool trunk to a copy of the POOL_1_X branch
- rename pool package to o.a.c.pool2
  (in reality this would probably be a merge from POOL_FUTURE)
- rename dbcp packages to o.a.c.dbcp2
- get pool2 and dbcp2 working together
- get Tomcat trunk working with dbcp2
- go through the POOL_FUTURE changes one at a time:
  - merging it into pool2 trunk
  - updating dbcp2 trunk if necessary
  - testing updated dbcp2 with Tomcat
  - if a POOL_FUTURE change breaks DBCP/Tomcat integration in a way that
can't easily be fixed skip that change and leave it in POOL_FUTURE

Mark